Thursday, October 6, 2011

Gym Time - Day 6 of 31 Days of Blogging


I made it to the gym late this afternoon. It's only the second time in two weeks. It's not that impressive; twice in two weeks. It's barely better than nothing at all but it's a start. I'm a great starter.

Last week I went in and pinged around on the equipment and managed to waste an hour and have some sore muscles the next few days so I suppose it was something. But it felt pretty aimless overall. Today I asked for a consultation and a body analysis, glutton for punishment that I am. A very, nice and perkily fit girl named Taylor measured me and my fat and determined that 109 pounds of me is essential parts... 66 pounds of me is fat.

I had 37% body fat. Now that is impressive.

She helped me develop a six week plan for strength training and optimistically suggested I do 30 minutes of cardio 3-5 days a week. Uh huh. I would love to do that but I don't see how it's going to happen.  I'm going to try. I'm more likely to make the three than the five.

I used to be in a shape other than round and would like to be again ... like tomorrow. The absolute simplest exercise she suggested took absolutely no equipment and was excruciatingly difficult. The plank. Seems simple; stretch out and hold it for thirty seconds. Repeat. Taylor suggested three times. I did three times. I wasn't feeling like a hero so three was all I did.

It was a lot harder than it looks.

Or maybe I'm just in a lot worse shape than I'd like to think.

Either way ... plank I did along with ball wall squats, leg abductions, dumbell front raises, dumbell curls, tricep pushdowns, 15 minutes on the bike and 15 minutes on the treadmill carefully keeping my heart rate at 145. Exercising is very complicated. But, I like a plan and now I have one. All I have to do now is implement it.

Aye, there's the rub.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment :)