Friday, January 29, 2010

Lesser Evil


Last year I really tried to clean up my cosmetics and health and beauty products and change to more environmentally friendly and healthier products. I gave up my Cover Girl Rose Blush (a 7 hazard rating)for Kiss My Face 3Way Color, Ruby Red (a 3 hazard rating). I looked up all the products I and Grace use on the Skin Deep Cosmetics Database http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ and started trying to pair down those chemical hazards to a much lower level, usually at least by half.

Still not replaced is my Cover Girl face powder (a 7 hazard), my Maybelline waterproof mascara (a 5 hazard), and my Nexxus Versastyler (a 6 hazard). Otherwise, we are doing pretty good. I'm still using up Suave Kids 2 in One shampoo and conditioner (a 5 hazard) for Grace but when that is gone, we are going to find something else. I thought about just combining the shampoo and conditioner I use into the same bottle, but combined they add up to a 5 hazard anyway. So am I accomplishing anything? I'm not sure.

She likes the smell, but I figured out if I add some drops of essential oil to some healthier fragrance free stuff (even just water for detangling and combing her morning hair down) she's happy. Strawberry and orange is what I have.

So here I thought I was doing good by replacing my Oil of Olay Sensitive Skin Day Lotion with SPF 15 to Jason Red Elements Daily Lotion with SPF 15 (half the amount for the same price) and finally looked it up today. The Oil of Olay is full of ingredients I can't pronounce and chemicals but comes in overall at a 4 hazard and the Jason's half full of "natural" plants and elements comes in at a 6 hazard.

Geez, sometimes you just can't win for losing.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm this is interesting... I dont wear makeup but I do use cleansers and moisturizers...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment :)