Sunday, July 5, 2009

From Chickens to Vampires

Know why you aren't supposed to count your chickens before they hatch? Because when you do, you definately do NOT get chickens. Well July 2 was 21 days, the supposed amount of time it takes to incubate fertilized eggs to get baby chickens. This morning, I went out to see if there was anything under the broody hen and found ONE broken egg with a thick dried up yolk in it and a whole lotta stink. That hen was just disgusting and obviously frustrated just like I was. No baby chickens. The past 24 days sitting on that nest in the smoldering heat of the chicken house were for nothing.

Dang.

I'm not sure WHAT happend to all the eggs. I know TWO of them got broken by her sitting on them and squishing then into the edge of the nesting box too hard and I think I remember scooping one egg up off the hen house floor not knowing if it was one of hers or the others. As for the rest of the eggs? I have NO idea.

I went to check on her later this afternoon and she was off the now empty nest and flitting around the chicken yard, finally relieved of her egg watch. I took that opportunity to clean out the nesting box of the dried egg crusted pine shavings. Nice. I filled the boxes up with nice clean shavings and sprinkled some around the bottom of their chicken house and found them some nice clover and carrot tops to munch on. It's nice to be back to normal. I feel bad for her. She did her best, but it just wasn't meant to be. Maybe next time. Maybe not. Life on the farm is hard sometimes.

Bryon mentioned today that maybe his Dad had taken some of those eggs out from under her not realizing we were trying to hatch them and put them in the house in our egg cartons in the fridge. Boy I really hope that is NOT what happended because SOMEONE is going to be in for a surprise if that's the case because we've given a bunch of eggs away and even sold a few.

I better go call him right now!

Or not, I'm feeling pretty lazy right now and just waiting for a free moment to read the Sookie Stackhouse books again.

Ever since my movie marathon last weekend I've been CONSUMED with those books! I finished the first season of True Blood on DVD and a coworker mentioned that the first season was just like the show and that the books followed along pretty closely. Well I Googled and Googled trying to find a place I could watch the new season shows for free but to no avail so I tracked down the books (eight in paper back mercifully) and bought them ALL! I've read three books in the past three days. They are addictive! God I love a series! Especially when I catch onto it near the end or WAY into it so I don't have to WAIT for the next book to come out! You just gotta love those vampires :)

Okay, so that was completely random, but what are ya gonna do? Welcome to my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment :)