Friday, December 5, 2008

Simple Christmas and Media Addiction

Everyone has  been excited about the simplified Christmas this year and the no gift exchanging plan. The one family gathering where I thought I would have to buy a gift for it now turns out that I won't have to. No one wanted to trade names for the kids so my Grandma is buying one gift for each child  to open under the tree at our family gathering. I don't think the kids will even know or remember the difference. We'll see.

People have been sending me links to check out from websites that help promote this idea. This one was a good one I just checked out http://www.commercialfreechildhood.org/pdf/CommercialFreeHolidayGuide.pdf 

One of their ideas was a television free time. That's a hard one for me. I WANT to turn the thing off but I can't stand the silence. I know I could listen to music but it's such a hard habit to break and I REALLY enjoy the down time sitting on the couch catching up on my DVR'd shows. Maybe we could try it for one day a week or something and work up. Or only watch our DVR'd shows for a week. Part of my problems is my slight news addiction. The election really fed that monster for me. I don't know why I feel like I have to hear it all four times: on the morning radio news, at noon on the radio, on the ride home on the radio and then on television. The other part of the equation is the background noise. I just have to have something going on all the time. I don't know why. Maybe I'd adjust to life without it, but like chocolate I'm pretty sure I don't REALLY want to. I like the idea of it mostly and admire others who CAN do it.

Hmmmm, it's almost time for New Years resolutions again. Maybe it's something to consider.

I think everyone is following the no gift plan. Of course we are buying some things for Grace, but all she has asked for is a REAL microphone. Santa will bring her that along with some more gumballs for her gumball machine she got on her birthday and a few other little items. Grace is going to go stay with Nana the weekend before Christmas so we can go to town for a few hours before another Christmas party to shop for her. Hopefully we can keep things under control and not just go nuts overbuying . That is the plan anyway.

It's going to be hard for Bryon though because he loves to give and always comes up with good and thoughful gifts. He brought home a sack Monday night from work where they were having a craft show and presented me with a VERY cool patriotic purse. It remained unsaid but I'm assuming it was my non-Christmas gift which he figured didn't count since it's not ACTUALLY Christmas yet. Hypocrite that I am, I loved it. It's hard to say no to a gift  but at least we've greatly reduced the process and the carnage.

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out but right now it's a HUGE relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment :)