Monday, August 18, 2008

Where does time go?

I'm not sure what the heck we did this past week but it sure went by fast. So much for my idea that I might have two chickens laying. I took the waterer out of the chicken house and set it outside in the chicken yard because the chickens seem to prefer to drink outside every chance they get. I thought maybe that would help keep their waterer cleaner too. My layer boycotted and didn't lay an egg  for two days. She had been nesting behind the waterer. Here I thought I was being all thoughful and obviously she didn't appreciate it. I put the waterer back in the appointed spot. Saturday morning I went out and she was sitting on the nest working up an egg so I left her alone to tend to the rabbits. Next thing I know she's strutting around the chicken house cackling up a storm and announcing her egg. Yep, a nice brown one. She's layed every day since I moved the waterer back into the house. Go figure.

I still don't know what's up with the other chickens. I hope they aren't just laying eggs all around the farm somewhere. That's going to make me REALLY mad! I guess the only way to know would be to coop them up for a few days, but I hate to do that. I guess I'll give them another week or so then the detective work is going to have to get more serious. I want those eggs!

Saturday afternoon we tried to go out and work on the goat fence but it was hot and we were all cranky (okay, mostly I was cranky) so we gave up pretty quickly. Basically all I was doing anyway was trying to avoid poison ivy (hence the need for goats) and keep Grace from touching anything green. I don't know if she's going to be as prone to breaking out from poison ivy as I am. Bryon really doesn't have any sensitivity to it at all, but I don't want to find out the hard way.

You can imagine how easy it was to keep her from touching anything green.

Sunday we slept in (bad Christians) and went to town for a birthday party for our friend Savannah. She turned 9 and I had to rush into Target for Hannah Montana paraphenellia for her gift. Grace doesn't even know who Hannah Montana is except for the now TWO HM birthday parties she's been to this month. Grace tells me she wants a COW birthday party. I'm not sure what that is going to be. I kept thinking she'd change her mind but so far she's pretty fixated on the whole COW theme. I don't think Wilton makes a cake pan for that. Someone suggested we could do chocolate milk. Good idea. Of course ice cream is a given. I was thinking I could get out REALLY easy and just buy a whole bunch of those Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches and stick candles in them. After last year's school bus cake, I'm thinking that would be a breeze.

We had to make a real hit and run for the birthday party because we had tickets to the Springfield Cardinals Baseball game. Grace was really excited to go. Of course she had no idea what it was going to be but she was excited all the same. It was our CBCO sponsored event for the year. The Hugglers went with us. That stadium was really awesome. I have no idea what happened during the game because Grace was bouncing around like pinball screaming...LOOOOuuuiiiieeee....Feeetttcchhhh. Louie and Fetch were the two team mascots and Grace was intent on giving them both high fives. She did thanks to a helpful Daddy schleping her around the stadium hot on their heels.
We finally left during the eighth inning because her little dirty black toes HAD to have a bath before bed. The flip flops didn't stay on very much all night. We did all wear our red to support the home team.I t was a fun night. When we left they were way behind but apparently the next inning they got five runs! Holy cow, they were probably better off without us. They ended up winning in the 10th inning while we were all already home and tucked into bed. Some fans we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment :)