Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Sky Is Falling, The Sky Is Falling!




The chicks are coming on Monday! I'm so excited. I have everything ready for them. I ended up getting 10 chicks and I got regular sized chickens. We had talked about getting bantams but they only sold them straight run and I didn't want 8 roosters! I ordered pullets (hen chicks) and hopefully that's what we'll get. It's going to really look like a farm out there when those chickens get to go out to their house. It will take about 6 weeks before they can start staying in the chicken house. We have half of their chicken yard finished and hopefully can complete it this weekend. I got two each of Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshire Reds, Buff Orpingtons, Red Sexlink Sussex) and Silver Laced Wyandottes. They are all on the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy (ALBC) Conservation Priority List as threatened heirloom species. ( http://www.albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html#chickens ). I didn't even know this list existed until my friend Liz gave me some books and magazines yesterday just before I ordered.

It's an exciting time on the Medley Farm!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment :)