Friday, February 8, 2008

House Cleaning Wanted?


I know not many of you are going to have much sympathy for me but my house cleaning girls quit. I've had two girls come and clean the house (downstairs) for me twice a month ever since Grace was born.
This was not my idea. Bryon suggested in those hazy early weeks of motherhood that perhaps we should look for someone to help clean. I said, "What are you saying? That I'm not doing a good job?" "No, no, no" he replied, "I'm just saying that you could maybe use some help when you go back to work and you wouldn't have to worry about the house so much."
Well I mulled it over for about three days. I'd never had a house cleaner. Mom was my house cleaner. I didn't even KNOW anyone that had ever had a house cleaner. It seemed extravagant and a little lazy. I decided to try it anyway. Once a month.
They came, two girls, and cleaned 2000 sq. ft including toilets, showers, tubs, sinks, sheets, windows, floors and all in downstairs in 2 hours. It would have taken me an entire Saturday and it still wouldn't have all gotten done. It was wonderful.
Two weeks went by, then three and Bryon said, "Maybe we should see if they could come every two weeks." I asked and they came. It was wonderful.
For the next three years every other Friday I came home to a spic and span house. No shower scum, no stinky toilet, not trash in the cans and shiny clean floors. The girl who had recommended them suggested putting something in the crock pot for cleaning day so when I got home I'd have supper AND a clean house. I thought that was a pretty good idea and did do it several times.
Last week one of the girls called and said they couldn't continue to clean my house because one of them had gotten pregnant and wouldn't be able to continue and Heather said she just couldn't clean four houses a day by herself. I understand this dilemma. I can't clean one by myself. So now the cleaning I've been putting of because I knew the girls were coming is piling up, griming up and stinking up and now it appears I'm going to have to clean it myself. Sad. Sad.
It's easy to become spoiled. I like it. I went to Wal-Mart and spent $100 on cleaning supplies and a new vacuum for the wood floors for downstairs (ironically mine does NOT suck on the wood floors). Also ironic because $100 is exactly how much it would have cost me this month if they could clean.
I have some hope Heather will get another girl hired and the cleaning will eventually resume, but I fear my reign of leisure is over.
Did I ever mention I liked the having it cleaned? No tears please, I know it's a struggle you will share with me. Or laugh at secretly behind my back :) Either way, next time you visit, don't look too closely or critically at anything because it's the best I can do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment :)